York Fire Department battles house blaze, resident survives but dog perishes

YORK – The York Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire Sunday morning at 2:50 a.m., at 1027 North York Avenue, where fortunately the resident survived but unfortunately their dog perished.

York Fire Chief Tony Bestwick says, “Upon arrival, the fire was blowing out of the southwest bedroom window and smoke was pouring out the open front door. The occupant of the house had safely evacuated and was treated at the scene for minor burns and smoke inhalation. Sadly, the occupant’s dog perished in the fire.”

He said due to the frigid conditions, the hydrant was very hard to open and flow.

The fire then went into the attic and burned through the roof. All interior operations were stopped and the house was evacuated. The fire was fought defensively from then on.

Chief Bestwick said mutual aid was provided by the departments from Bradshaw and Waco.

“Ultimately, the aerial platform was placed after Engine 621 had frozen up,” Chief Bestwick said further. “The fire in the roof area was then put out. Due to the unsafe nature of the structure, all contents of the home were destroyed and after determining the origin of the fire, it was decided to call in a private contractor to demolish the home. This fire was very challenging because of the frigid temperatures, pumps, personnel and equipment freezing, and hose lines had to be dragged through 10 feet of snow.

“I’m so proud of all the effort of our first responders,” Chief Bestwick said. “York fire would like to thank the York Polie Department, the city of York Street Department, York 911 dispatch, Waco and Bradshaw Fire Departments, Wy-Ad Utility Contractors, black Hills Energy and Nebraska Public Power District for their assistance today.”

Advertisement
Jones Group banner

Thanks for reading this article.
JMWNews.com content is free and never behind a paywall.
We believe in trustworthy, local journalism that is accessible to everyone.