York man reaches plea agreement in case involving illegal gun, threats and assault

YORK –Michael Church, 35, of York, in a case where he earlier pleaded not guilty to possession of an illegal gun, making terroristic threats and third degree assault in York County District Court, has reached a plea agreement with the prosecution.

This week, he pleaded no contest to terroristic threats and the other charges were dismissed.

The case began in early morning hours when the York Police Department received a call for service regarding a disturbance in the 1600 Block of North Iowa Avenue. Initially, it was Church himself who said a woman stole his car keys, pulled a gun on him and tried stealing his medications, according to court documents.

While York officers spoke with both parties, the woman provided a video of Church walking into the room, holding a firearm in his right hand asking if she “wanted to (mess) with him” multiple times before slapping the phone out of her hand.

The officers found a black semi-automatic Springfield pistol with the magazine removed and lying to the side, with one round of ammunition lying on the bed which was ejected from the chamber when the firearm was cleared, according to court documents.

Church was charged with possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, because he was previously convicted of a felony in 2021 in York County. This is a Class 1D felony which carries a possible maximum sentence of 3-50 years in prison upon conviction. That was one of the charges that was eventually dismissed.

He was also charged with terroristic threats, a Class 3A felony that carries a possible maximum sentence of three years in prison, and third degree assault, a Class 1 misdemeanor which carries a possible maximum sentence of one year in prison. He pleaded no contest to terroristic threats and the assault charge was dismissed.

Initially, his bond had been set at $50,000, 10%. Later, the matter of his bond was brought forward upon a motion for his bond to be revoked. The judge modified the bond by increasing it to $200,000, 10%. Then this week, the bond was put back down to $50,000, 10% with a condition he cannot have contact with the victim.

Sentencing has been set for Jan. 8.



Thanks for reading this article.
JMWNews.com content is free and never behind a paywall.
We believe in trustworthy, local journalism that is accessible to everyone.