Questions of the Week logo

Questions of the week: Readers ask about neighbor gutter problems, recycling, GIS mapping website

The following questions were asked recently by inquiring readers:


Q: Is it legal to divert water onto someone else’s property? My neighbor had his gutters and driveway re-done, the gutter runs underneath his driveway and shoots out directly at my garage. This has caused the dirt to wash away from the foundation and when the rain is heavy, run into my garage. 

A: York Public Works Director James Paul referred to Section 34-3 of the municipal code which addresses eave and gutter spout requirements.

It says it is illegal “for any person to erect or maintain any dwelling house of business building within the limits of the city, where the dwelling or building abuts on any sidewalk or street without providing proper guttering and eave spouts to receive the wastewaters that drip on the streets and sidewalks of the city. All eave spouts erected on any dwelling house or business building within the city shall be constructed to drain in the alleys or the eave spouts shall be buried beneath the sidewalks and drain into the streets where it is impossible to drain eave spouts into the alley.”

It might be best for this reader to contact the city offices directly and talk with them about how to seek a solution to this problem. The main phone number for city offices in York is 402-362-2600.


Q: Will York’s recycling center ever be back up and running? If not, is there another option for those of us who hate waste want to help our planet? There has to be some company that would help support York with our recycling needs. At some point, we as a country, need to not focus so much on cost but what we are doing to our planet. In the near future, no amount of money will be able to save our planet if we keep wasting like we do now.

A: The city’s recycling program ended a few years ago after that particular working relationship with Mosaic came to an end. That created a staffing issue.

Then there was the issue of the rising costs of getting the recycled materials to dwindling locations that accepted them.

There haven’t been any new public discussions about reviving a city-run recycling program.


Q: A while back, I was trying to get on the York County GIS website but it appeared to not be working and I was wondering why it was down.

A: It was probably down, at that particular moment, because the county now has a brand new GIS mapping site.

The county’s new GIS mapping website is

The public is encouraged to get on the new site, take a look around. If anyone has questions, they can contact the York County Assessor’s office at 362-4926 or email Assessor Kurt Bulgrin at


Q: A while back, I saw a story about the county’s residential rehabilitation program and I really think my son’s family could benefit from this. Could you publish the details of the program and I’ll pass it along to them.

A: Applications are still being taken for the county’s ongoing owner-occupied housing rehabilitation program.

The program is being administered by the Southeast Nebraska Development District (SENDD).

Eligible homeowners may receive assistance to make structural, mechanical, electrical, weatherization and plumbing improvements to their homes.

Applicants at or below 100% of the median household income of York County, adjusted for family size, may be eligible:

  • One person, $53,313
  • Two people, $60,938
  • Three people: $68,563
  • Four people: $76,125
  • Five people: $82,250
  • Six people: $88,312
  • Seven people: $94,438
  • Eight people: $100,500

The property eligibility is that the housing units must be located within the municipalities within York County. There are certain eligibility requirements, including income, assets and homeownership. Mobile homes and rental properties are not eligible for participation in the program.

Financial assistance per household generally ranges from $5,000 to $23,000 for each unit.

The maximum amount of assistance is $24,999.

If a home cannot be determined to meet basic standards with $24,999 in assistance, the unit will not qualify for assistance.

Ryan Bauman, SENDD housing coordinator, earlier met with the York County Commissioners to provide an update on the program.

He said seven projects have been completed so far and five were just awarded.

More than $200,000 remains available for housing rehabilitation projects.

Bauman said he encourages people to apply for the funds, if they qualify. “This is a great chance to help people get work done on their homes. It is a great program, a great opportunity. And don’t worry about providing your financial information to us – not one person in the SENDD office cares about what you make. And that information is kept private. We just want to help and we will see if we can help you get some work done. There are still plenty of houses around York County that need work. Just apply, there’s no harm in it.”

He also said in most instances, homeowners rarely have to pay anything out of pocket for the work that’s done – only if the project cost goes over the maximum granted money of $24,999.

For more information about making an application, contact Ryan Bauman, SENDD housing coordinator, at Or call the SENDD offices at 402-475-2560 or the York County Clerk’s office at 402-362-7759.


Q: Where was the biggest hail stone ever recorded in the United States?

A: Currently, the largest hailstone on record in the United States fell in Vivian, South Dakota. It measured eight inches in diameter.


Q: Is it true you can make “buttermilk” for cooking and baking if you don’t have the real stuff in your refrigerator? By using vinegar?

A: Yes, that is true. Simply add one tablespoon of white vinegar to one cup of milk.


Q: How many people sit on the York City Council?

A: There are eight councilmembers for the City of York.


Q: I love the television show “Below Deck” where guests charter the super yachts. My question is how much does it cost to charter one of those yachts?

A: Numerous sources say the cost of a 3-day charter on Below Deck yachts range from $50,000 to $100,000 during the off-season and from $75,000-$150,000 during the peak season.








Thanks for reading this article. content is free and never behind a paywall.
We believe in trustworthy, local journalism that is accessible to everyone.