Questions of the week

Questions of the Week logo

Readers ask about helmet law, internet, coffee grounds


The following questions were recently submitted by curious readers: 


Q: With the repeal of the state’s motorcycle helmet law, does that even mean that kids can ride as passengers without helmets?
A: The helmet amendment to LB138 would allow any motorcyclist or passenger over age 21 who has completed a basic certification course by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation to ride without a helmet, starting on Jan. 1, 2024.


Q: Why did we have an internet outage a week or so ago? I think it affected the whole town and it was super irritating.

A: According to spokespersons for Spectrum, the outage was due to fiber cable that was cut by a third party digging underground.


Q: Someone told me coffee grounds can be really good for your tomato plants. Is that true?

A: Experts say coffee grounds contain around 2% nitrogen as well as varying amounts of phosphorus and potassium. By mixing some coffee grounds into the soil by your plants, the nutrients can be introduced.


Q: Was Governor Jim Pillen born in Nebraska? I voted for him but I have to admit I don’t know much about his background.

A: He was born in Columbus and graduated from Lakeview High School in 1974. He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in animal science from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and earned a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine.

Also, incidentally, from 1975-1978, he was a defensive back for the Nebraska Cornhuskers football team under Tom Osborne. He was inducted into the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame in 2004.


Q: There are so many food trucks in York now and I was wondering if the city has a process they have to go through in order to be approved for operation in the city.

A: Yes, the city has steps for food truck approval.

The process for operating a food truck depends on the location of the food truck.

There are various links on the city’s website where a food truck operator can go to find the proper forms for that particular location.

They have to apply for a solicitor’s permit with the city and they have to apply to the Nebraska Department of Agriculture for a license and the Nebraska Department of Revenue for a sales tax permit.

They are also reminded if they are located on a private parking lot, they have to get permission from the owner.

If a vendor wishes to park on a city street or parking lot, they must apply for a right-of-way permit for permission to remain in the public space more than two hours.




Thanks for reading this article. content is free and never behind a paywall.
We believe in trustworthy, local journalism that is accessible to everyone.